Job posting - Housing Counselor
Reports to: Manager of Housing Counseling Programs
Status: Full-time, salary, Exempt
Salary range: $50K - $53.5K
LCHA seeks a full-time Housing Counselor to perform intake services, data entry, maintain client records and complete client surveys. This is an in-person, non-remote position, with employees required to work out of the LCHA Lake Zurich Housing Counseling facility 40 hours per week. HUD Housing Counseling Certification required to be considered.
Requirements: A minimum of one (1) year experience within Housing Counseling and two (2) years of experience in intake or data entry. Excellent time management skills and data entry accuracy are vital. Proficient in Microsoft Office, spreadsheets, database / grant reporting tools. Excellent communication, writing, problem solving, and organization skills.
Responsible for maintaining an effective system for intake services that includes screening applicants for program eligibility, working with staff to coordinate assignment of clients, document collection, and maintaining an accurate client database. The Housing Counselor serves as the first point of contact for many Housing Counseling clients.
- Triage intake information from the various points in which clients contact the organization- phone calls, website, in-person walk-ins.
- Conduct initial client intake phone interviews, determine eligibility for services, make initial appointments for various programs or provide referrals to other organizations.
- Create client files and input data into the Client Management System Database.
- Perform client intake assessments and direct client files to appropriate personnel.
- Perform follow up surveys in compliance with funding requirements.
- Collect documents from clients as directed by the program or counselor.
- Represents the interests of the agency, the program, and the program participants in all activities.
- Relay program information to clients in an accurate and timely manner.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Client service: Ability to manage difficult or emotional client situations, ability to respond promptly to client needs, and meet commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Time Management: Must have ability to meet strict deadlines while working independently.
- Current HUD Housing Counseling Certification.
About Lake County Housing Authority:
- We have had the honor of servicing the residents of Lake County for over 75 years by being a leader in providing affordable housing.
- Our generous medical plan offers your choice of three (3) BlueCross BlueShield Medical and are currently offered at no cost employees when they elect Employee Only level coverage. We have affordable contribution rates to cover your eligible spouse and/or dependents as well.
- LCHA values your health and wellness. We provide LTD, STD, Life and AD&D coverage to all full-time employees at no cost as well as 21 PTO days annually and 13 paid holidays.
- We have a variety of plans to help you plan for your retirement, including an employer contribution of 19.7% to a money purchase plan (with a vesting schedule) as well as options for you to contribute to a pre-tax 457 plan.
- Other benefits include dental plans, flexible spending accounts, AFLAC plan options, EAP programs and plenty of training and professional development opportunities to support your professional growth goals.
The Lake County Housing Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer and accepts applications and resumes for open positions only. The Authority does not accept phone calls for position inquiries. Please complete an employment application which can be found at Career Opportunities - Lake County, Illinois Housing Authority (lakecountyha.org) and email it to Recruitment@lakecountyha.org along with an updated resume detailing your work experience.